Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bike Funding is good for Everyone

Senate Amendment Aims To Nix All Bike Funding



I do not agree with this at all. As a recent addition to New York City's daily grind, I am counting down the days until it is warm enough to ride my bike the 8 miles or so to work (something I admit I may have to work up to). I agree with Andy (author) in that more bike lanes in urban areas is a good idea. I see how much bikes are used here from everything to messengers to food delivery. It truly helps keep down the amount of cars. I think of all the bike messengers that we get at our office and try to imagine the grid lock if they were all using cars.

I also find it interesting that these two senators are Republicans. Will they ever get over themselves and look into the possibilities of new ideas? This funding for bike infrastructure is not 'pork.' It is useful and innovative in that it will allow more American (name me and others in cities) to have a safe, efficient way to get around, not to mention healthier.

It is nice to see the sun sometimes and I look forward to the time of year it is warm enough to skip the subway and ride my bike over the East river.

No comments: